If you haven’t noticed yet, potatoes are my best friend. We get along like Bert and Ernie, Rachel and Monica, Sonny and Cher (pre-1975 shenanigans). Experimenting with potato recipes has quickly become a favorite pastime of mine. I am proud to present to you this scrum-diddly-doo vegan mashed potato recipe. Quite different from my signature Rosemary & Garlic vegan mashed potatoes. It’s the mustard in this one that makes your taste buds break out in song.
Bring this to the next potluck or Thanksgiving dinner. Wait to tell your friends until afterward that it’s vegan. They won’t believe you! To all you non-believers, this is proof that vegan is delicious!
Red potatoes (5-8 depending on size), 1 lemon, olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic (lots!! 4 cloves minimum), brown mustard*, fresh chives
*I recommend Eden’s organic stone ground brown mustard made with apple cider vinegar. But whatever, to each her own.
Serves: 3ish people
- Boil the potatoes. (For the love of Pete, please rinse them first.) Now drain them once soft.
- Mince the garlic and toss into the potato pot with sufficient olive oil (for creaminess), salt and pepper, and some hearty dollops of brown mustard.
- Squeeze the lemon into the concoction.
- Use a beater to mash the potatoes and seasonings together.
- Top with fresh chopped chives.
- Serve, eat, enjoy!