Nothing beats fresh fruit picked right from the trees and spooned right into your belly. Luckily, there are fruit trees aplenty here on Long Island, Bahamas, and a weekly Farmer’s Market to ensure all the islanders get their fruit mix fix. The recipe below has become my daily smoothie addiction. There are worse addictions.
If you can’t get your hands on fresh fruit, pre-packaged frozen ones will do. But we all know the fresher the better.
1 ½ cup mangoes, ¾ cup guavas, 2 bananas
Makes: 2 smoothies
- Harvest the mangoes. Freeze the mango meat in a plastic bag or glass jar overnight.
- Harvest the guavas by cutting each in half and scooping out the inside flesh and seeds. Freeze in glass jars overnight.
- Freeze 2 bananas overnight.
- Remove all fruit from the freezer and let thaw for about 10 minutes.
- Throw everything into a food processor or blender. (Go easy on your machine and chop the banana into smaller pieces.)
- Serve, drink, enjoy! Shamelessly store any leftovers in the freezer for future enjoyment. (Fruit popsicles, anyone?)