In light of the holidays, here’s some pumpkin cheer… for your belly. It’s freaking delicious. Prepare yourself.
1 pie pumpkin, 1 butternut squash, 1 yellow onion, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 2 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp celery seed, 1/2 tsp ground basil, dash nutmeg
Serves: 6-8 people
1. Harvest the pumpkin and butternut squash. Cube the flesh—no peel, please! (Set the seeds aside for roasting!) Toss into a large pot.
2. Chop the onion and garlic and add into the pot.
3. Fill pot with water to just under the pumpkin/squash layer and boil on high until pumpkin and squash are soft.
4. Stir in spices. Adjust according to taste. If it doesn’t taste just right, complete step 5 and then add more spices.
5. Allow to cool. Then puree in a blender.
6. Serve, eat, enjoy!