If you have a lot of carrots popping up in your garden this summertime, this recipe is perfect for you! The best part is most cupboards and fridges usually have all the ingredients handy, so you can whip this up without having to make a trip to the grocery store to search the food aisles for that one ingredient you always have to buy in bulk but you’ll only ever use for that one dish and no other dish. You know what I mean. (I’m looking at you, sage.)
1.5 pounds of carrots, 1 yellow onion, 1 avocado, 3 large garlic cloves, 1/2 c water, 1/3 c olive oil, 1/4 c almond milk, fresh cilantro, 2 Tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp powdered ginger, 1/2 tsp celery seed, dash of cardamom, salt & pepper to taste
Serves: 3-4 people
- On medium-low heat, warm diced carrots, onions and garlic with olive oil. Remove when carrots are soft.
- Transfer heated ingredients to food processor or blender once they have been allowed to cool slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients (including avocado and almond milk), with water as needed for desired thickness. Add salt and pepper as per preferred flavoring.
- Blend until chunky smooth.
- Reheat on stovetop if necessary. Store in sealed container in refrigerator if not serving immediately and reheat on stovetop when ready to eat.
- Top with fresh diced cilantro.
- Serve, eat, enjoy!
Get creative! You can play with the consistency to turn this recipe into carrot sauce (vegan lasagna anyone?) or carrot dip!